82nd Newcastle History
Originally formed in 1919 – registered in 1920 the group met in Newcastle East at the Church of the Divine Unity, Newbridge Street. It closed in 1923 at request of District. It would have been part of Jesmond Division.
The next registration was 1932, at Clarence Street, Westlyan. This version closed in 1937.
The Group was next registered in 1963 and at this point it was in the West End. It merged with the 75th in 1981 (and was called the 75th/82nd Newcastle) before closing in 1987. The merged Group met at St James and St Basils Church.
The important bit is that the Group reformed in 1989 and continues very successfully in its present form!
A history card from Gordon Kinghorn from 1941 – 1944 (One of our previous scout’s grandparents) showed that he was part of the 8th Newcastle Scout Group. It was thought that the 8th Newcastle used to meet at St James and St Basils.
If you know of any more snippets of history, please feel free to contact us!